Monday, November 06, 2006

The ultimate plus-minus, revisited

About a year and a half ago, I wrote this post about my uncanny ability to jinx my teams when watching them play live - no matter how good (Spurs, Cal) or bad (everyone else) they might be overall, when I watched, they would make dumb mistakes, the other team would play above their real level of ability, and my spirits would be stamped down by the unending bad luck.

Some people don't believe my persecution complex (hello Karen!) but to add more evidence, this past weekend in an otherwise strong 38-24 victory for Cal football over UCLA (boxscore here), the game was on in the other room, but I purposefully stayed away and puttered around on my computer for most of the game... except for a few possessions:

Bruins TD Chris Markey rushed up the middle for 70 yard gain (Justin Medlock made PAT)

Bruins TD Chane Moline rushed up the middle for 1 yard gain (Justin Medlock made PAT)

I did get to see the Cal field goal, so I guess the plus/minus for my viewing time overall was just -11. Sigh. I also watched almost all of the season-opening Tennessee game. I should probably avoid watching the USC game in two Saturdays as well as the Rose Bowl, huh?

Speaking of the USC game... can't wait to get away to Hawaii. Mike P is trying to convince me to spend ~$400 to get scuba-certified. While I like swimming all right, I'm quite afraid of sharks (and death/dismemberment underwater in general), so I'm wondering whether to sign up. It would make for a rather cool story to tell and skill to have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it is very manly of you to be able to admit your fears..and 'publicly' too
-isabel

Anonymous said...

awww, i won't bite. i just want someone to pet me.

-sharky