A while ago I came across a few articles talking about the heady per diem given to NBA players during the season when the team is on a road trip. The current Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players' union and the league provides - get this - $106 a day for food and other knicknacks while on the road. $106!
Here's what one former NBA player does with that much money:
We get per diem. At the beginning of each road trip we receive an envelope containing our per diem—a cash allotment meant to cover the cost of our meals on the road. I LOVE PER DIEM. By some formula detailed in the Collective Bargaining Agreement we get $99 dollars per diem (each day) on the road. It is wonderfully ridiculous. It is true that I COULD spend a hundred dollars a day on food, but it would take quite an appetite. Especially considering that I have adopted Subway as my restaurant of choice on the road. Unable to eat 20 foot-long subs each day on the road, I invariably end up with some extra cash in my pocket—which mysteriously migrates to my wife’s wallet as soon as I get home! During my first year in the league, I actually paid my RENT with my per diem.
Another excerpt from a different article:
Players can use the money as they choose. They can order room service at a ritzy hotel, which could set them back more than $80 for a meal...
"Man, we gamble away that money right away on the plane," said Nuggets guard DerMarr Johnson, referring to high-stakes card games. "We put it right into the gambling pot."
Nuggets forward Reggie Evans recently dropped $85 for a room service afternoon steak at the swank Four Seasons Hotel San Francisco.
Portland Trail Blazers center Jamaal Magloire spent more than $80 last week for a room service steak at The Westin Tabor Center.
Considering so many NBA players love the Cheesecake Factory, you can get quite a lot of salmon with teriyaki rice plates with the per diem.
What would you do with that much money for food every day?
2 comments:
on a related note:
has anyone ever tried tracing through her steps? not a big rachel ray fan, but my gf has informed me that most restaurants in usa arent that great to actually taste.
wjc
I've been to a handful of the places she mentioned in local joints (SF, Monterey). They're not bad but not overly special.
Post a Comment