Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Stability in the storm

In the midst of turbulent times in the third and fourth general priorities in my life (work and church), I'm glad for stability that I can hold onto in trusting in God (#1) and my marriage and family.

Mortifying recent experience: I have often joked about the possibility of my running over the multitudes of toddlers that are just beginning to discover the worlds right in front of my feet. Well, on Sunday at church, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as I ran smack into a little boy who maybe came up to my knees. Fortunately, I don't think he was able to recognize me (and thus mark me as a target for future vengeance) through the cloud of tears. His mom was very gracious.

Funny recent experience: in practicing worship songs for an upcoming wedding, Mike P commented that in the Hillsongs ballad "None But Jesus", a quiet song about whole-hearted devotion (Lyrics: There is no one else for me / None but Jesus / Crucified to set me free), it was easy to confuse the "for" and "but", leading to:

There is no one else but me
None for Jesus

That has the potential of being as hilariously memorable as the faux pax from a few years ago - "I'm forsaken, because You were forsaken."

1 comment:

estah said...

I'm forsaken, because You were forsaken."

I remember that incident. I couldn't sing that song without cracking up for months afterwards.