Dr. Grant: I have a theory that there are two kinds of boys. There are those that want to be astronomers, and those that want to be astronauts. The astronomer... gets to study these amazing things from a place of complete safety.
Erik: But then you never get to go into space.
Dr. Grant: Exactly. That's the difference between imagining and seeing: to be able to touch them.
I suppose the quote stuck with me because when I was little, for a while I aspired to become an astronomer. I read books on the stars and planets, knew the theories on how they came to be, read up on the Roman mythological figures that were the inspirations for many names... interestingly enough, though, I never really wanted to become an astronaut who was actually walking on the moon or flying to Mars.
I think that mentality has kind of crept into my adult life too. I'm typically more inclined to figure stuff out and understand how things work, rather than exploring the great unknown.
Are you more of an astronomer or astronaut?
I took the "Perfect College Major" quiz and got the following results:
You scored as Philosophy. You should be a Philosophy major! Like the Philosopher, you are contemplative and you enjoy thinking about the purpose for humanity's existence.
What is your Perfect Major? (PLEASE RATE ME!!<3) created with QuizFarm.com |
I found it somewhat odd that I tied among three majors for the top spot. I could actually see myself as both an engineer and a philosopher type. Sociology's interesting too, but I was surprised it came up. Just for the record, after the initial round of survey questions, I had to choose one out of the following to break the tie:
1) I enjoy the study of people interactions. (Sociology)
2) I enjoy thinking about the meaning of life, and what it has in store for me. (Philosophy)
3) I enjoy discussions and seeking new ways to approach a problem. (Engineering)
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing!
It reminds of me that "what does the Bible say about gifts of the Spitis?" Three themes should be underscored, as for me.
(1) God is the Giver of gifts;
(2) Each individual person is in some way gifted by God
(3)the puspose of any individual gift always goes beyond the individual, since it is to be used for the community, for th upbuilding of the church, and for the work of ministry to all people.
But before we can fully use God's gifts in the way that God intends, we must understand what our paritcular gifts are. Since God gives gifts not smiply in the abstract, but to individual persons, it will be helpful for us to understand as much as we can about ourselves as individuals so we can see how it is that God might want to use us.
When I look at myself with this view of my giftedness in mind, I am also aware of my limitations and failings. Sometimes God intends me to use my gifts freely for others, but I may do so only reluctantly.(Pual,apostle-sometimes I just do not understand myself-Rom.7.15-23).
In the history, many philosophiers and pastors were equiped with a rich of knowledge of wisdom of math,theology, astornology(sp)and others in oder to perceive the unversial through the human beings.
I like to observe stars because the more I observe, the closer I feel God's existing. I do not feel bored insted of praising how great he is why he made many "dice" and "toy" to let me be fun without longly.The black sky sprinked with stars made by his love showing "Human's Hope."
Which quality of the standard of enjoyment could compare with God's artwork.(Ipod.Ps2..none.), especially in this world.
S.C
How the conception in thinking of human beings develop?
The rank :
No1.Theology (God, universail, nature)---
No2.philosopy (goodness/evil in moral part and critical thinking from ecah theory)---
No3.socience---stastics
No4.psychology(behavior)
If one thoughts or book could undergo thousands of year in generation, which means it worth of us to keep and think, but "statitics" or "experientment" could not always rely on in any centeries because it can not exactly appear "goodness" & "evil" through oneself's behavior.
Outside "phonemona" would be "fake" or "concevited." Hardly for us with "view" criterie (sp)either goodness or evil through "interaction."
Thus, the "statitics" always changing unstable.
I enjoy thinking of Theology, classic philosophy,Psychonoies part and madness and civilization and theater (community) and art (imagination)in my life.
awwww. do you not like art and theater? or is it that it just happens to not rank that high? lol.
Post a Comment