Back in college, I used to ride my bike to and from class from my apartment. Despite the numerous hills in Berkeley, as well as cars and pedestrians and a couple of falls, I enjoyed the feeling of being able to whiz to class on the other side of campus within 10 minutes when walking would take closer to 25.
Yesterday, after a gracious bike tuneup by Mike L on Memorial Day, I was able to take my bike onto the light rail with me to work, then riding back the 8+ miles to Mountain View. It felt really good. Some things that came to mind:
- Effective multitasking is always satisfying, especially when you can combine activities that are often mundane (working out + getting home)
- Overpasses are killer on momentum
- When I drive to work and I can see the mountains ringing the valley clearly without much smog, it's particularly satisfying to know that I helped in some small way with that
- My butt feels awfully bony and sore today after ~40 minutes on a hard, uncomfortable seat. I may need to get a nicer cushion and a blinker
Gonna aim to bike home at least once a week. We'll see if I can hold to that.
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My bike to work plan lasted all of one week.
I need some EPO before I can commute consistently on 2 wheels.
I learned something very enlightening recently about our efforts to reduce the carbon footprint.
Don't every take an international flight. One flight per year destroys anything you can do to save and to reduce carbon emission.
Of course, I'm a bad boy. I just came back from Taiwan, and I fly to California at least once a month.
yay for biking!
you should buy bike shorts. they help a lot with the er, bottom area. get pearl izumi brand.
Post a Comment