The older that I get, I figure everyone is dying
They're all dying for a change
I know that I am dying for some action
- Derek Webb, "Dance"
Entering the last year of my twenties, a couple of observations:
- I am now as old as some high school kids thought I was 5 years ago (another account of the same story). Since I was 29 5 years ago, I guess I must be in my mid-30s now.
- The older that I get, the more I'm realizing how much more growing up I still have to do. Our current Sunday School series is going through "Growing up as Asian-Americans", and I'm slowly coming to grips with how much I'm influenced by the cultural mores I've grown up with, and how I'm more strongly motivated by guilt, fear, and remorse rather than the promise of joy, peace, and happiness through God's grace. This will be a theme for me for a while.
- That being said, I'm all the more grateful for little things I've taken for granted in my earlier years - great parents + family, privileges, health, friendships, and everything else. Blessed. Thanks to God for everything.
3 comments:
happy birthday mang :)
happy birthday bob!!! we are all getting close to the big 3-0. i can't believe it.
You should try living in a place that has fewer Asian Americans. The sharp contrast of culture becomes even sharper then.
Post a Comment