Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The end of summer

The weather is getting cooler, the sun is setting earlier, the NFL is in week 4, and NBA training camps have begun. That can mean only one thing... the long lazy days of summer are drawing to a close, giving way to the brisk activity of fall.

Since 24 and Lost aren't coming back until February (late winter/early spring), that means that my entertainment time is mostly being taken up with fantasy football, getting ready for the beginning of the NBA season, and occasional episodes of Top Chef (Bravo, which is finishing up this week) and Human Weapon (History Channel). Tivo also enables us to record old Simpsons episodes again... the "24 Minutes" spoof of "24" was a hoot.

Also, having inherited Guitar Hero 2 last week from my bro, Shally and I have gotten into trading off riffs. Talking to a friend from work, it sounds like the better technique to develop is to use the index for both the green and red buttons (first 2) in order to prepare for the fingering on hard. I'm now working on the first few songs on hard mode. Once the second guitar I ordered comes in this week (thanks to Hanlin for the gift certificate to purchase it) we'll be able to do bass and guitar parts.

On to fantasy sports... after a thrilling, personal best 170-158 win in week 3 against the league favorite, my team bombed this week with only 55 points and 0 from Westbrook. McNabb is killing me. On the hoops front, after doing fantasy basketball for several years, I'll be taking a break this year... since I follow it so closely anyway, might as well free up some of the mental energy needed for the two leagues I'm usually commissioner for.

On the Warriors... it's weird having an overall sense of enthusiasm about the upcoming season. A year ago, the hopelessness of having Dunleavy and Murphy still overshadowed Nellie's return. Now, just about every bad contract has been shed from the roster (JRich, while a fan favorite, was never one of mine due to a lack of well-roundedness) and there's a good mix of veterans and young talent. Sure, injuries and lack of size are still a concern, but how great is it that everyone on the time actually likes each other?

No comments: