Shally and I celebrated V-day this year one day early to avoid the crowds. We had reservations at Osteria in Palo Alto for 7:30 pm, but due to a multitude of factors ended up running late. Since the restaurant is quite popular and typically has a line out the door most nights, I began mentally checking through backup destinations.
I called the restaurant at about 7 pm to let them know we were anticipating an arrival time 20 minutes after our reservation. We showed up 15 minutes late, got checked in, appeared to get bumped to the top of the line, and to my pleasant surprise, didn't have to wait long for a table. As the host showed us to our table, he mentioned, "Thanks so much for calling ahead. You'd be surprised how many people show up 20, 30 minutes late and then act stunned that their table isn't being held for them anymore."
You know what? Knowing that a simple 30-sec phone call had helped him out by relieving the stress of the unknown, and that he in turn was able to help us out by getting us a table more quickly than if we had lost our reservation... that small gesture of appreciation felt really good. So thanks, Mr. Host Guy, for letting me know that what I did helped.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
bob's being polite. we were late cuz of me...and I was late cuz....I'm a girl!! =P
Post a Comment