Friday, April 18, 2008

NBA Playoffs round 1 - Eastern Conference

EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Celtics vs. #8 Hawks
What I'm looking for:
Matchups will determine whether the Hawks can win 1 game in this series. If I were Woodson, I'd consider putting Josh Smith on Perkins (not really an offensive threat) to allow him to roam and block shots, since straight up man defense is a weakness. Joe Johnson and Allen should cancel each other out, but the Celts have demonstrated advantages at SF and PF.

I have to admit, I've enjoyed watching the Celts this year. I've always maintained the Warriors should have drafted Pierce the year they swapped Vince for Jamison (interesting that Jamison has turned out to be the better player after all), and he's been playing within the system without devolving into too much 1-1 play. KG has elevated the entire defense, and while I wish he'd play in the low post more to take advantage of his ridiculous athleticism and length, he seems to have found the perfect fit for his skill set.

Plus, you just know that Cassell is going to have at least one monster clutch performance this offseason.

On the Hawks, Horford is a beast, but still has a lot of growing up and learning to do.

Favorite plays
Celtics: They have a beautiful set play where KG flashes to the high post, receives the entry pass from Rondo, draws the attention of both post players, and then slips a dump off pass to Perkins for the dunk.
Hawks: Haven't watched them much, so I'll just say any time Josh Smith is on the run in the open floor, either chasing down a breakway for a block or swooping in for his own monster dunk.

Who I'm rooting for:
Celtics. They have Leon Powe. Go Bears!

#2 Pistons vs. #7 Sixers
What I'm looking for:
I should like the Pistons. I rooted for them against the Shaq-Kobe-Karl-Payton Lakers. They play solid, fundamental, smart basketball, with good defensive rotations and a versatile offensive system featuring Rip running off multiple screens. Plus, Tayshaun is one of my favorite players to watch. Their bench is deeper than it's ever been (Maxiell's block of a Chandler alley-oop a few weeks ago is one of the best blocks I've ever seen). So why do I root against the Pistons?

Arrogance.

It feels like their whole attitude the past few seasons has been that they were obviously the best team, they just "beat themselves." Refusing to give credit to the teams that beat them, is highly irritating. This primarily comes from Sheed (he who has never committed a foul, in his mind). So, while I want to see the Pistons take on the Celts, Cavs, Wizards, or Magic, I won't really be rooting for them that hard against these Sixers... who, by the way, looked really awful when we went to see them against the Warriors.

Favorite plays
Pistons: He might not get much of a chance in this series with Igoudala (a decent defender) on him, but I enjoy watching Tayshaun in the post - his baby hook looks like a praying mantis reaching out and grabbing its prey.
Sixers: I can't think of anything, so I'll just look for some growth from the other AI on this big stage.

Who I'm rooting for:
Pistons. I'd like to see them advance to get taken down by the Celts, Cavs, or Magic (maybe the Wizards if they get by Cleveland).

#3 Magic vs. #6 Raptors
What I'm looking for:
The Raptors don't excite me that much. Bosh was severely unimpressive in national team play. I am interested to see how Calderon plays since I haven't gotten that much of a chance to watch him.

The thing with the Magic is that when you watch, you can't help but be drawn to the huge muscleman in the middle. You never know when he's going to do something spectacular. I'm looking forward to the battles he'll have with Yao and Oden over the next 10 years.

Favorite plays
Magic: Hedo to Superman for the alley-oop. Dwight's height, strength, and leaping ability almost makes it unfair.

Raptors: Can't think of anything here either, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by Calderon.

Who I'm rooting for:
Magic.

#4 Cavs vs. #5 Wizards
What I'm looking for:
Two seasons ago, this was one of the most entertaining playoff series. Agent Zero and Lebron took it to an HNL ('hole 'notha level - thanks to youth group's Sam Chen) in their mano-a-mano duel, with Lebron winning out with what may have been a travel. This year, Gilbert isn't fully healthy and will come off the bench, Lebron is also hurting. Plus, Caron has became a full-fledged superstar (I'm sure Laker fans aren't nearly as pissed now since it they eventually swapped Shaq for Gasol and Odom, which ain't a bad return at all) and Jamison has turned out to be better than I thought.

With Lebron hurting, the Cavs need someone else to step up on offense. Former Warrior #1 Joe Smith (grrrr), Wally Sza;adlfjwer, Boobie, Bond villain Zydrunas, whoever it might be. The Wizards might have too many weapons otherwise.

Favorite plays
Cavs: With Lebron hurting, hopefully Coach Brown can find some ways to get him easy buckets on the break or catching the ball in the half court going towards the hoop rather than starting from a standstill each time, requiring him to bulldoze through the entire Wiz D.

Wiz: There's something aesthetically amusing about the Jamison flip shot now that he's not on the Warriors anymore.

Who I'm rooting for:
Cavs. Even though the Wizards might be on a better roll right now, it'd be fun to see Lebron potentially single-handedly destroy one of the other East title hopefuls.

Bring on the playoffs!

1 comment:

ReCharredSigh said...

almost forgot to mention this, but i have a leon powe rookie card.