Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006 Music Journal

Updated 2006/12/31

Currently listening:

Recent albums:
Carried Along, Andrew Peterson (2006/12/14)

Achtung Baby, U2 (2006/12/02)

Timothy Keller lecture on JRR Tolkien (2006/11/28)

Everlasting, Sovereign Grace Ministries (2006/11/03)

The Best of 1980-1990, U2 (2006/10/29)

OK Computer, Radiohead (2006/10/25)

Kaleidoscope Superior, Earthsuit (2006/10/11)

Good Monsters, Jars of Clay (2006/10/04)

This Side, Nickel Creek (2006/10/01)

The Everglow, Mae (2006/09/28)

Dreaming Through the Noise, Vienna Teng (2006/09/18)

Come on! Feel the Illinoise!, Sufjan Stevens (2006/09/06)

This Beautiful Mess, Sixpence None the Richer (2006/08/26)

Much Afraid, Jars of Clay (2006/08/22)

Waking Hour, Vienna Teng (2006/08/14)

A Place Where You Belong, The Normals (2006/08/09)

Arriving, Chris Tomlin (2006/08/05)

The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, Lauryn Hill (2006/07/31)

War, U2 (2006/07/26)

Kansas, Jennifer Knapp (2006/07/20)

Live at Luther College, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds (2006/07/09)

Share the Well, Caedmon's Call (2006/07/06)

Central Park Concert, Dave Matthews Band (2006/06/21)

Caedmon's Call, Caedmon's Call (2006/06/16)

Warm Strangers, vienna Teng (2006/06/11)

"With Abandon", Chasing Furies (2006/06/02, 2006/12/08)

"White Flag", Shaun Groves (2006/05/25)

"The Jesus Record demos", Rich Mullins (2006/05/24)

"Redemption Songs", Jars of Clay (2006/05/20)

"Divine Discontent", Sixpence None the Richer (2006/05/08)

"Room Noises", Eisley (2006/04/29)

"Feels Like Home", Norah Jones (2006/04/25)

"Nothing is Sound", Switchfoot (2006/04/16, 2006/11/25)
Short review: The follow-up to "The Beautiful Letdown", which catapulted this San Diego rock band to superstardom in the mainstream, is pretty solid but doesn't break much new ground for them. They do rock out more - indeed, the first half of the album is chock full of chunky guitar riffs and is probably quite fun in concert. Plus, frontman Jon Foreman's musings on the meaningless of life, materialism, politics, and everything else without God in the picture are still spot on. However, we've heard many of these musings before. I know I'm not the only fan who'd like to see them branch out a little bit in their subject matter. Also, while it's a pretty solid album all the way through, the second half is less memorable than the first, and overall doesn't quite have the unique sound I associate with the band primarily from their "Learning to Breathe" days. However, they still have a clear gift for melody - I was singing their songs to myself in the lab at work for days. Favorite tracks: Lonely Nation, Stars, Happy is a Yuppie Word, The Shadow Proves The Sunshine, Easier Than Love. Click here for a more detailed review by an outside reviewer.

"Jars of Clay", Jars of Clay (2006/04/10)
Short review: One of my favorite album of all time, and hands-down the most influential thus far in my music fandom life. This was the first album I purchased that was written from a faith-based perspective - I borrowed both this album and a Michael W. Smith album from Eva our freshman year at Cal, and this one, with its rhythmic acoustic guitar strumming, tight harmonies, and poetic lyrics, captured my imagination and proceeded to shape my listening habits all the way up till now. Jars still remains my favorite band, through experimentation with different musical and lyrical styles. This album kicked everything off. I was listening to this in preparation for singing "Worlds Apart" on Easter, which happens to be my favorite song of all time and encapsulates neatly a good portion of my testimony. Other favorites include "Faith Like A Child", "Art in Me", and "Liquid" (the combination of violins, mandolin, harmonizing vocals, and a Gregorian chant in the intro are all indelibly etched into my memory).

(online) Fine Classics (2006/02/23)

"Sixpence None The Richer," Sixpence None The Richer (2006/03/26)
Short review: Millions of people bought this album for the hit songs "Kiss Me" and "There She Goes." Unfortunately, Sixpence (which disbanded in 2004) became known for these songs, the latter of which they didn't even write, and thus were stamped as one-hit wonders and a fluffy girl pop band. Pity, because for those who actually took the time to listen to Matt Slocum's complex, whimsical lyrics, the delicate acoustic-electric arrangement, and Leigh Nash's lilting voice, the discerning listener would find a superb band writing spectacular songs far better than their "hits." On this album, most of the songs were less poppy, but much more interesting in their lyrical and musical approach. For example, "Puedo Escribir" merges at least two time signatures, some Spanish fiddle, and lyrics from a poem by Pablo Neruda to put together one of the most interesting songs I've ever heard. They also depart from the happy-go-lucky tone of "Kiss Me" on "Anything", detailing the struggle of artists trying to balance between the desire to stay true to their art and the commercial realities of trying to make a living. There's some Biblical imagery, like the burning bush that gave direction to Moses, God as the Harvester planting new seeds in people, and a few other ones. For the patient listener, there is much to unearth on this album, and while I found "This Beautiful Mess" more consistently listenable and "Divine Discontent" to be perhaps their best combination of pop sensibility and sublimie lyrics, their self-titled shows the band at its most experimental. Favorite tracks: Puedo Escribir, Love, I Can't Catch You, The Waiting Room, Anything.

"downhere", downhere (2006/03/16)
Short review: One of my favorite debut albums. This Canadian pop/rock band puts together a good mix of music ranging from straight ahead rockers to thoughtful ballads, along with a few mid-tempo numbers, and embellishes everything with inventive electric guitar work, piano melodies, and harmonizing vocals from the two lead singers. The harmony work is quite pleasant because the two have distinct voices that reside in different registers (one sounds an awful lot like Kevin Max from the former dc Talk), which makes it easy and fun to practice singing harmony in the car. Lyrically, they explore topics from severe struggle, the greatness of God, the need for peacemakers, and other musings on life and faith. My favorite track, "Making Me", starts muted before crashing in on the pre-chorus. The bridge then has a short rapid-fire almost-rap section before shifting time signatures and going into a dark electric guitar solo, before coming back to the chorus again. Very tasty arrangement. Be sure to listen for 3 minutes on track 12 (it's not all empty space) for the funniest hidden track I've ever heard. Favorite songs: Making Me, Great Are You, Calmer of the Storm, Protest to Praise, Breathing In, Rock Stars Need Money.

"Drunkard's Prayer", Over the Rhine (2006/03/12)
Short review: The critically-acclaimed husband-and-wife folk duet that comprises Over the Rhine found themselves having marital problems a few years ago, that was only being exacerbated by being on tour all the time. So, they ended up cancelling their tour in an effort to save their marriage, and throughout the long process of healing was able to write the songs that comprise this wonderfully vulnerable album about love, sacrifice, and not knowing what you have until you almost lose it. Musically, this is very sparse (no driving drum beat or wall of sound here), but vocalist Karin Bergquist's sultry voice is complemented nicely by Linford Detweiler's multi-instrumental virtuosity on piano, guitar, Wulitzer, bass, and percussion. The style ranges from their standard Americana folk to smokey jazz numbers, and the lyrics speak honestly about the struggles they've been through and how their marriage has been strengthened by working through the struggles together. With my recent foray into jazz, I found this album very appealing. Favorite tracks: Born, Little Did I Know, Firefly, My Funny Valentine. Click here for a more detailed review by an outside reviewer.

"In the Reins EP", Calexico and Iron & Wine (2006/03/09)
Short review: Nice, short set of 7 songs from a well-respected folk songwriter and an instrumental band. The music runs the gamut from folk-rock to jazz to Americana to country, but the shifts never become too jarring. I didn't listen to this EP enough times to get a good feel for the poetry of the lyrics, but the music is all high-quality and an enjoyable listen.

"Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" (2006/03/05)
Short review: Smooth jazz set, recorded live, with two of the acknowledged legends in the field playing together. As a jazz novice, it was helpful to listen to the audience response to identify sections of the music that were particularly worthy of applause (and so learn more about what's "good"). On the whole, however, I didn't find the album as memorable as Coltrane's "Blue Train" album.

"No Name Face" - Lifehouse (2006/02/28)
Short review: Contains one of 2003's most-played radio hits ("Hanging by a Moment"). This is an excellent modern rock debut album by a band that got its start in a Vineyard church in Southern California, with clever instrumentation (including some non-standard "rock" instruments like mandolin) and strong songwriting on topics ranging from romantic love to worship to struggle with sin. Jason Wade's gravelly baritone can really soar when he wants to. Unfortunately, after a decent sophomore album, the band hasn't really been able to maintain artistic or commercial momentum, but this one is a solid listen all the way through. Favorite tracks: Hanging by a Moment, Breathing, Trying, Everything. See here for a more comprehensive review by an outside reviewer.

"Jill Paquette" - Jill Paquette (2006/02/15)
Short review: High quality folk-pop album from a relative unknown. Lyrically and stylistically, probably the closest comparison would be a cross between Bethany Dillon (instrumentally), Nichole Nordeman (lyrically), and Sarah McLachlan (vocally). It took many listens for the music to sink in - the first 3 or 4 times, while I could tell it was quality music, it didn't really catch my attention that much, but afterwards, I began noticing particular lyrical turns of phrase and musical flourishes (mostly on the acoustic guitar) that were memorable (for example, from "Lift My Eyes": "I've seen light lost to darkness, but You made a promise" and from "Forget": "Ignorance is no excuse for something I've known all along.") Her website has the lyrics and litte introductions to each song, which adds valuable context. Top songs: One of These Days, Lift My Eyes, Forget, Free (Take My Life).

"Dixieland Gumbo"(2006/02/07)

"Stereo: The Evolution of HipRockSoul" - 4th Avenue Jones (2006/02/03)
Short review: Click here.

"Bluebird Blues Radio" (2006/01/26)

"The Far Country" - Andrew Peterson (2006/01/27)
Short review: Click here.

"Conspiracy No. 5" - Third Day (2006/01/16)
Short review: Third Day at its most modern-rock-ingest. After the southern-fried rock of their debut and before the turn to mellower worship-oriented stylings like what they do now, the band stretched its creative wings with this project, with a heavy sound and emphasis on stellar electric guitar work. While I don't think it achieves the sublime blend of high-energy southern rock and mellower vertical music that they get on their next album "Time", this disc has perhaps the best instrumental work, and the most diverse set of subject matter lyrically, ranging from a diatribe against popular music to a heartfelt apology. While this is not the sound that has made Third Day a big name in "church music", many original fans wish they would go back to these days of instrumental and lyrical creativity. Top tracks: Peace, Alien, My Hope is You, Who I Am.

"Hymned" - Bart Millard (2006/01/15)
Short review: Awesome album. 5 years ago I wouldn't have enjoyed this CD at all, with its wide variety of styles ranging from Southern gospel, pop, rock, R&B, country, and soul, but as my musical horizons have broadened, I've grown to love the mishmash. Recorded with an expressed desire to pay tribute to the singer's grandmother's influence in singing hymns to him as he was growing up, here are 10 relatively familiar hymns that are beautifully arranged, creatively spiced up or stripped down, and either belted out with a gospel wail or crooned with a soulful tone by Millard. I like pretty much every track on this album, but "Sweetest Name I Know" stands out as my favorite, with a too-fun-for-words upbeat arrangement with an upright bass thumping along, drums, steel guitar, flute, and some things I can't quite identify. Plenty of guest musicians lend their talents on this one, and Millard (best known for MercyMe's "I Can Only Imagine") shows surprising vocal versatility. Overall, one of my favorite albums from the last half year. Click here for a more detailed review by an outside reviewer.

"A Collision" - David Crowder Band (2006/01/04, 2006/04/03, 2006/10/18)
Short review: Not as straightforward as "Illuminate", with much more of electronic rock influence. This album took longer to grow on me, but it turns out that I enjoy it for different reasons that the previous album. Enjoyable mishmash of genres that actually works, including straightforward pop/rock, slow-burning electronica, hyperactive punk, and out-of-nowhere bluegrass. Doesn't transition as smoothly between tracks (the interludes don't flow that well, including one wholly unnnecessary recorded telephone conversation that I always skip). Some lyrical improvement from the previous album, with musings upon death and depravity, but most of these songs aren't necessarily "congregational worship" type - and I think that it's a good thing. Let Tomlin and others write the easily listenable melodies, the DCB is more on the creative/unusual/unexpected side of things. Overall, another above-average album whose best tracks are better than on "Illuminate", but doesn't flow as well. Favorite songs: Be Lifted or Hope Rising, Do Not Move, Come Awake, You Are My Joy, Our Happy Home. Click here for a more detailed review by an outside reviewer.

"Illuminate" - David Crowder Band (2006/01/01, 2006/03/20)
Short review: Top-notch instrumentation, including Dave Matthews-like acoustic riffs on several song intros. Creative use of violin and a turntable to accompany standard acoustic / electric / piano / bass / drums mix. Mostly upbeat sound. Lyrics tend towards the simpler side, sometimes awkward and occasionally cheesy. Overall, an above-average record, very catchy. Top songs: O Praise Him (All This For A King), Open Skies, Intoxicating, All Creatures #2. Click here for a more detailed review by an outside reviewer.

===================

I'm what you would call a "close" listener of music. On receiving a new album, I'll typically listen to it three times before passing judgment - the first time to get an overall feel of the album, the second to listen to the musical mix, and the third to listen to the lyrics. This is one of the reasons why I don't typically have music on in the background, at work or at home - I would focus on it too much.

I intend to update this post throughout the year with the different albums that I listen to (usually over the course of several days in the car). As the journal gets larger, I'll begin writing short reviews and ranking the new albums throughout the year so by the end, I'll have a list of my favorite ones from 2006. The current album I'm listening to will always be listed to the right in the "About Me" section of the blog, with a link back to this post, so visit often!

No comments: