Friday, January 13, 2006

5 Weird Habits

Well, I read Andrew's post about his 5 weird habits then apparently got tagged at the end just for reading. It's hard to come up with 5 weird habits when [straight face] I'm so normal [/straight face], but I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

1) A couple of personal eating habits that some may consider odd (some taken from this old post):
- I've never had a cup of coffee or a can of beer.
- I water down my juice, by 1/3 to 1/2. Even at work, I'll have a can of OJ and a bottle of water and swig from each in the same mouthful.
- I need to have equal amounts of "bread" and other ingredients in a single mouthful. For example, I will distribute sandwich elements in an equitable manner so that each bite will be balanced. I will also do this with pizza - eating from the cheese-covered end and then from the crust end so that the non-cheesed crust is in the mouth with a sufficient amount of cheese and toppings.
- I eat cereal by pouring the milk into the bowl, then pouring the cereal into the milk. This keeps the cereal crisp.
- I often chew a mouthful more than 30 times. My parents observe that my future wife had better 1) be a patient person and/or 2) enjoy talking, because otherwise she'll go insane watching me eat slowly.

2) When I get into the car by myself, there's usually a CD in the player that I've been listening to. Upon starting the engine, I always start the current song over from the beginning, if it was cut off in the middle when I turned off the engine earlier on.

3) Before sleeping, I need to read something light (usually a novel) while sitting up in bed waiting for it to warm up. This is why I've read most of the novels on my bookshelf more than once. I'm thinking of modifying this habit by either 1) adapting to reading more thought-intensive nonfiction, or 2) starting to go to the library again.

4) I guess this isn't really a habit, but sometimes when I'm bored and I come back home to an empty house, I'll pretend to be a cop just for fun and "clear" the house - hugging the walls, crab-stepping through rooms, and peeking around corners. I'm fairly certain I've never done this in the presence of another person.

5) On my computer, I like having my tabs in a particular order - on my Windows taskbar, the windows are always (left-to-right) Windows Explorer, Outlook, Firefox, and then everything else; on Firefox, the tabs are always (left-to-right) Gmail, Yahoo Mail, My Yahoo, then everything else. If I accidentally close a window or a tab, I'll often close everything else and re-open things in the right order (thankfully, with the new Firefox, I no longer have to do this when I accidentally close a tab - I can just drag and drop to the appropriate place).

Hm, maybe it wasn't that hard to come up with weird habits...

Not a good basketball day for me yesterday. Spurs and Warriors both got taken apart. "Lost" came back with a good episode on Wednesday though, and "24" starts up again this Sunday. Do I watch too much TV? Maybe.

Haven't written anything of substance in a long time, but a pleasant surprise from yesterday was that my company has this upcoming Monday (MLK day) off, so I ought to be able to get caught up on some ministry matters and some writing. Will be heading off to a church leadership retreat for the weekend, but it's always nice to realize that the weekend will be one day longer than you expected going in.

Topics I've been ruminating on that may appear in this space once I sit down and write out my thoughts:
Entitlement
Living a "default" life
Aging
What it really means to be a "good Christian"
My creed

6 comments:

karen said...

hahahahahaha. even though andrew says he can see you doing #4, i'm sorry, but i can't. and i can't stop laughing when trying to imagine it. chris/hanlin, time to hide your car and in your room one day to capture this on video!

Anonymous said...

omg! #4's hilarious! i agree with karen - someone's gotta get that on tape. :) -s

Anonymous said...

okay, 1-3 and 5 are all kind of anal kind of things, but 4...you are hilarious! no wonder you like shows like alias and 24...

Anonymous said...

you sir, are a freak. =)

~abe

Pooh Bear said...

Ur... --> OCD?

=)

Anonymous said...

#4 is great... i laughed out loud when i read it.