Thursday, March 30, 2006

At least it's not LA

After work today, it took me about 40 minutes to drive 7.5 miles on highway 237 from San Jose to Mountain View (it usually takes me 10-13). I basically left it in idle the entire time and rolled all the way back. Taking the train back from work would be about a 25 minute ride and a 10 minute walk from the station on a regular basis, so I usually drive only when I want to "save time" or I need to drive elsewhere. Probably shouldn't have left work at 6:20 pm (237's "primetime"), but as we rolled through the misty rain, I wondered whether this is what it would be like to live and work in, say, LA... and then realized that down there, we wouldn't even be rolling at all.

The extra time wasted sitting in traffic doesn't bother me nearly as much as the thought of all that gas being burned and all those waste gases being ejected into the atmosphere for no real reason at all. Alternative-energy-source personal transportation can't get here fast enough!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is some tough traffic!

to avoid traffic on the 10 West (going towards downtown) in the morning, I opt to take the "short-cut" and drive local streets to work, which makes my 11 mile commute a precise 40 minute trip. Some short-cut huh!

Anonymous said...

oh how i miss the la traffic... ok, not really :)

the good thing about living up here is that most places are fairly close to one another. when i was in la, i remember thinking 20-30 minutes was a close drive. haha

Anonymous said...

so now you norcal people can experience what we in socal call...life. you get used to it. God's way of testing your patience...

pekkle01 said...

Other traffic jams to experience:

* Motorbike traffic jam. Around a large roundabout. HCMC.

* Bicycle traffic jam. Beijing.

* Fearlessly navigating a many-spoked (by many I mean in the 2-digits) roundabout - somewhere in Europe.

I lucked out in getting reverse traffic commutes when I had to go on 237.

Asterix said...

Man, you guys make me not want to live in LA, haha, and I haven't even tried.

Anonymous said...

hanlin, despite the traffic horror stories about la (we really don't know how to drive in the rain), it's a great city with great people! don't suppress that inner desire to be an "la" person, hee hee hee...