Being adequate goes to the core of my value system. Though i struggle with being loved "enough" by God, and finding my sufficiency and contentment in that, the understanding that i am truly loved is enough for me.
On the other hand, being inadequate or disrespected... that's the realm of the criminally incompetent. Not just that i would be unable, but that everyone knows i would be unable, and being shown to be a real fraud. Being inadequate means not being able to live up to the (quite reasonable) expectations of others. Knowing that everyone is loved, I would despise being someone who can't be TRUSTED.
i would rather be unloved and alone because being unloved and disrespected are pretty much the same thing, so i'd be comparing alone and inadequate. well, i'd rather be alone and able to do stuff than surrounded by people and unable to do anything. also, if you were already unloved by people, wouldn't you want to be alone? why would you want to be unloved and surrounded by people? and if you're disrespected by everyone and yet you are still inadequate to do anything about it, then you're stuck. ok, enough rambling, this comment box is getting full. haha.
my first response from reading the question was b. i can't imagine having to go thru life w/o a single person in the world loving me. I know God loves me, but....having to go thru life on earth without anyone who cares for me is pretty unimaginable to me. i don't even want to consider it.
as for feeling inadequate & disrespected...i just don't feel as strongly about those. (heh, i survived 5 yrs of feeling inadequate as an engineer...guess i'm used to it!)
fyi, i think the source of the question was trying to get at a fundamental difference between men & women.
Torence made a good point on this topic on Sunday - "Jesus didn't die so that we could be respected - he died so that we could be loved."
On the other hand...
I think the awesome gift of salvation through Christ gives two benefits - 1) being loved by God and being able to love God, and 2) having a purpose - serving and blessing others.
I still choose (a) because I can be alone in the world, unloved by people, and still be loved by God as my source and strength. But not being adequate enough to fulfill my purpose would be very difficult.
This is not a hard choice even though I would like respect from people. But my choose is (b). If I am inadequate and disrepected, I know that I am still loved by those who care about me, like my hubby and my family. Being loved and the ability to love others are what we are here for in this world as Christians. People are created to love and be loved.
Tangent thought: Before there was sin, there was loneliness. God saw that there was something "not good" even before there was a source for it (from the fall). Despite everything being perfectly as it should be, and "good", there was still loneliness. Kind of makes me wonder how much of that is to be expected throughout existence...
What kind of choices are these?! Blindman, is there something you're not telling us about? Does that blue M&M figure actually feel blue?
To me, being inadequate might as well mean being unloved. All this talk of God loving us aside, if I know I am inadequate there is very little room for self-love and self-respect.
So, I would rather be unloved by others. At least I can love myself and be happy with who I am. And if you don't love me, curses on you! Fie!
I'd pick a). I think I get satisfaction from making a difference and being told that I make a difference. For me, though, the desire to be loved is not trailing that far behind the desire to be respected, haha.
12 comments:
Like a true Cal grad, Blindman has been doing his dating/pre-engagement research and advice-mongering.
If i have to choose, i fall squarely into the (a) category.
But i am a skewed data point. You should throw me out of your sample set.
Oh, AND why?
Being adequate goes to the core of my value system. Though i struggle with being loved "enough" by God, and finding my sufficiency and contentment in that, the understanding that i am truly loved is enough for me.
On the other hand, being inadequate or disrespected... that's the realm of the criminally incompetent. Not just that i would be unable, but that everyone knows i would be unable, and being shown to be a real fraud. Being inadequate means not being able to live up to the (quite reasonable) expectations of others. Knowing that everyone is loved, I would despise being someone who can't be TRUSTED.
i would rather be unloved and alone because being unloved and disrespected are pretty much the same thing, so i'd be comparing alone and inadequate. well, i'd rather be alone and able to do stuff than surrounded by people and unable to do anything. also, if you were already unloved by people, wouldn't you want to be alone? why would you want to be unloved and surrounded by people? and if you're disrespected by everyone and yet you are still inadequate to do anything about it, then you're stuck. ok, enough rambling, this comment box is getting full. haha.
wow. you ppl sure put a lot of thought into it.
my first response from reading the question was b. i can't imagine having to go thru life w/o a single person in the world loving me. I know God loves me, but....having to go thru life on earth without anyone who cares for me is pretty unimaginable to me. i don't even want to consider it.
as for feeling inadequate & disrespected...i just don't feel as strongly about those. (heh, i survived 5 yrs of feeling inadequate as an engineer...guess i'm used to it!)
fyi, i think the source of the question was trying to get at a fundamental difference between men & women.
Torence made a good point on this topic on Sunday - "Jesus didn't die so that we could be respected - he died so that we could be loved."
On the other hand...
I think the awesome gift of salvation through Christ gives two benefits - 1) being loved by God and being able to love God, and 2) having a purpose - serving and blessing others.
I still choose (a) because I can be alone in the world, unloved by people, and still be loved by God as my source and strength. But not being adequate enough to fulfill my purpose would be very difficult.
This is not a hard choice even though I would like respect from people. But my choose is (b). If I am inadequate and disrepected, I know that I am still loved by those who care about me, like my hubby and my family. Being loved and the ability to love others are what we are here for in this world as Christians. People are created to love and be loved.
By the way, sorry for the earlier deletes.
Tangent thought: Before there was sin, there was loneliness. God saw that there was something "not good" even before there was a source for it (from the fall). Despite everything being perfectly as it should be, and "good", there was still loneliness. Kind of makes me wonder how much of that is to be expected throughout existence...
What kind of choices are these?! Blindman, is there something you're not telling us about? Does that blue M&M figure actually feel blue?
To me, being inadequate might as well mean being unloved. All this talk of God loving us aside, if I know I am inadequate there is very little room for self-love and self-respect.
So, I would rather be unloved by others. At least I can love myself and be happy with who I am. And if you don't love me, curses on you! Fie!
Hahaha, Joseph's first comment is hilarious.
I'd pick a). I think I get satisfaction from making a difference and being told that I make a difference. For me, though, the desire to be loved is not trailing that far behind the desire to be respected, haha.
I side with Melancholic and Sujenone primarily for reasons already stated; in short:
Genesis 2:18
and
2 Corinthians 12:9
Post a Comment