Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Thoughts on the Warriors trade

I'm writing up a recap post on the highlights from the last few weeks, but I had to stop and chime in on some big sports-related news of the day (the non-sports folks can now go to your regularly-scheduled programming).

From the Associated Press announcement:
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers traded Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday for forwards Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy as part of an eight-player deal designed to shake up two struggling teams.

The Pacers also sent guard Sarunas Jasikevicius and forward Josh Powell to the Warriors, who gave up forward Ike Diogu and guard Keith McLeod.


As a long-time (and long-suffering) Warriors fan, I'd have to say I'm quite happy with being able to package both Murphy's and Dunleavy's albatross contracts and ship them out in one fell swoop. The fact that the team was able to pick up some useful pieces in Harrington (new PF), Jackson (backup 2/3) and Sarunas (competent backup 1 for oft-injured Baron) is gravy. Plus, the incoming guys' contracts are less burdensome and long. Jackson brings a history of legal trouble, but he's not really needed, I guess... and I still remember him winning a title with/for the Spurs in 2003.

Ike has the potential to be quite good down the road, but he wasn't getting much playing time for Nellie. He has an excellent skill set and will probably do well in Indy's deliberate system. He' the one most likely to continue the legendary Warriors curse of former players becoming stars.

Murphy I loathe... he started out as a bargain of a starting-quality mid-first round PF, but earned my enmity by stat hogging rebounds, not boxing out so teammates could rebound, getting stuffed repeatedly at the rim due to a lack of athleticism, holding the ball for too long, avoiding help defense like the plague... SO glad to be rid of that guy. Not worried at all about generating regrets down the line.

Dunleavy has been an inconsistent player and a consistent disappointment. Decent skill set, decent size, but just not very much impact. He'll probably end up being a very good player, but his confidence was shot here.

New lineup:
PG Baron, SG Monta, SF Jackson, PF Harrington, C Biedrins, while waiting for Pietrus and JRich to get healthy again. Exciting times

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was gonna ask you what you thought of the trade, so i'm glad you did a quick post on it :D ... i agree with you whole-heartedly and am happy for the warriors. yay!