Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007
I thought that I had everything tied up in a neat little bow (if I had the manual dexterity and aesthetic sense to tie a bow, that is).
I had the plane tickets. I had already packed my suitcase a day and a half before departure. I had just called my credit card company and my bank so they wouldn't be alarmed that their customer was suddenly making purchases in places with names like "Akihabara." Andy and Mike P had both provided handy-dandy checklists for making sure I had everything I needed for my first trip to Asia in around 20 years (the last time I went to Taiwan).
Last thing on my list was to photocopy my passport and credit card. Since I was at the office at the time, I figured this was the easiest part - just walk around the corner and make the copy. As it scanned and the copy came out, however, my eye fell on one line in the passport page next to my high school picture (which probably should have been a clue):
EXPIRES: 2006 JUL 21
Well, crud.
Talk about your rookie mistakes - since I hadn't flown internationally since the Spain trip in 2005, I didn't bother checking my passport - I just knew I had it. Turns out it had already been expired for half a year. I spent the next hour alternately moping and beating myself up over my stupidity, checking the US Passport website to find out that even rush service would take 2-3 weeks, notified family and friends that I wasn't going to be able to make it, and resigned myself to wasting a lot of money on a vacation I wouldn't be able to go on - one I needed after working extremely hard throughout the winter holidays that most people got to relax on.
Then, Mike sent me a few websites of companies who are in the business of, shall we say, streamlining the renewal process. I'm not sure exactly how. But as I began checking through the websites advertising next-day renewals, my fading hopes began to flicker just a bit, and soon I was in full-on manic mode flipping through Google listings, reading through fine print, and making phone calls to see whether this would really be possible. As my coworkers began packing up to go home for dinner, I happened upon the Travisa agency, which had an office in San Francisco, and confirmed that they had one more opening for a fast passport renewal that would enable me to get it back Friday evening.
I ended up changing my flight (I was originally going to fly out with Mike Friday morning, direct to Tokyo, and changed it to fly out Sat morning with a transfer at LAX), woke up at 6 in the morning Thursday to drive up to SF and drop off my renewal material, worked a full day, then on Friday, dropped Mike off at SFO, came back, worked, then drove up to SF again to pick up my passport, enduring some bumper-to-bumper traffic along the way - it took 2 anxiety-filled hours as the office that had my renewed passport closed at 5 pm, and I had to call them and rely on their good nature to stay late on a Friday night so I would be able to pick it up (I tipped the guy that stayed).
Even with passport in hand and other loose travel ends tied up (some Japanese currency on hand, packed, etc.), I was still a wired ball of anxiety, as I've only flown once by myself before (and that was domestic), and never internationally, and particularly not to a country where I didn't know the language. I overreacted quite a few times, from worrying about making it through the security line in time to get to my gate, to wondering whether my luggage would be able to follow me through my LAX transfer, to trying to study as many common Japanese phrases as I could get through while finally on the plane to Tokyo. Turns out that everything went exceedingly smoothly - made the flights with time to spare, landed in Tokyo at 3:30 pm, picked up my luggage that was already circling, and was on a bus direct to the hotel by 3:55 (now that's efficiency). When I finally knocked on the door of the room and Mike welcomed me with a "Hey, you made it!", I finally took a clean breath for the first time in 4 days.
So, some takeaways and comments from this whole experience:
- Even though I'm close to 30, I'm so immature/unsavvy/naive in so many ways. Check the important stuff, stupid. Don't take things for granted, like "They'll send me a notification if I need to renew my passport, right?"
- Thanks to Mike for finding the info on companies that can do fast renewals.
- Turns out that as cynical as it can sound... money can actually provide opportunities when it seems like there are none. 'Course, he who continues to throw money at problems without actually solving them or preventing them from happening in the future, will soon be without any money.
- Things that are more likely to stress me out are circumstances that I cannot control, such as traffic delaying me from making a deadline.
- When I'm under stress, I tend to withdraw and get really, really quiet (Shally got to experience this, for the first time in our relationship).
- Speaking of Shally, thanks to her for being a great support and outlet to help me get through everything:
[06:12:35 PM] Shally: how ya doing?
[06:12:41 PM] Bob: stressed
[06:13:15 PM] Shally: can you take a sec to take a deep breath, praise God cuz it's gonna work out?
[06:13:59 PM] Bob: thanks for the reminder... just did :)
- I experienced a lot of grace - undeserved favor - in this whole ordeal. There was only 1 more spot open that week for a fast renewal, and I got it. The folks at the company staying late to let me have my passport. I even lost my parking ticket for 5 frantic, muttered-curse-filled minutes in a parking garage before reminding myself to take a deep breath, recenter on God's presence, repenting, and then realizing it was stuck in a crack in my cupholder. It was enough to remind me to leave a Starbuck's doughnut next to a guy sleeping on the street in SF.
Next up: some highlight experiences, and the top things implemented in Japan that we should do here (and vice versa, which is a much smaller list).
Thursday, February 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Bob. Glad you made it alright. It may be a rookie mistake, but it happens. A couple of years back I was traveling back to South Africa. This was to my birth town, so a trip of a lifetime as I'll probably never be back. Traveling to S. Africa was expensive, my portion of the trip alone was about $8k($4k for plane ticket). Well, my flight left from LA so I drove down to LA the day before and spent the day hanging out with college friends. My flight was noon the next day. At 1 AM I re-packed and was about to go to sleep when I realized that after getting all of the visas and etc, I had brought the wrong passport. One of the problems of recently getting dual citizenship just a few months prior. In my routine, I did not adjust for recent updates. Well, I had just under 11 hours to drive up to Nor. Cal and back to make the flight. Well, if it has to be done, it has to be done. I got back to the apt. in about 5.5 hours, but not after
a) traveling 120mph in the rain, which wasn't smart. I stopped after a few minutes. I didn't want to miss the flight, but I didn't want to die either
b) At 5am, I was traveling N. on the 101. Sat. Morn was to be the first day in a 2 week stretch of constant rain. Well, I had been up for almost 24 hrs and so I was a bit tired. At this point I fell asleep and my brother happened to call me on the phone at the right time as I was driving asleep in a torrential downpour technically off the highway. Given my trajectory, if he had waited a few more seconds, my car would have hit the railing and at the speed I was going in the rain, my car would most likely have flipped.
By His grace and mercy, I am alive today, seriously.
So then what about the 5.5 hr trip back? My brother's gf at the time was a stewardess and she got me on a flight to LA at 8 that morning. We all knew that if I tried the 5.5 hr trip back, I'd be dead in a ditch somewhere on the 5. I can drive to LA and back in one day, but not 3 times. Well, it all worked out in the end. I agree that you learn a lot about yourself in these situations. As harrowing as the situation might have been, I hope you look back on it with fondness, remembering God's grace and hopefully a little wiser the next trip ;-).
Wow ... didn't know those expediting services even existed.
Glad you got to go on the trip.
Next time ... check out JapanesePod.com (or the podcasts on iTunes for primers / lessons on Japanese for all levels).
:P
Post a Comment