Coupla observations to add on...
LA driving? May be the greatest deterrent to my ever wanting to live there or spending an extended amount of time there. To wit, Shally and I drove down Friday morning starting at around 9:30, stopped for lunch, and got to the outskirts of LA (5 and 405 interchange) at around 2 pm... then took another 2.5 hrs to go the 30 miles to 605, since we were going to Orange County. Stop and go traffic would be less painful for me if we weren't sitting in a car spewing carbon emissions into the air, but still... 2.5 hrs for 30 miles?
Apparently there was a huge fire in the metropolitan area on Friday - at first we thought it was a depressing cloud of smog (picture courtesy of a poster at the Warriorsworld forums):

I've been to lots of weddings, and helped out with lots of weddings in the following capacities (off the top of my head): worship leader, special music, usher, head usher, gift mover, candlelighter, sound tech, AV tech (reception) - some folks think I should get a business card, heh. This was my first experience as a groomsman and co-best man... first time in a tux and a limo since senior prom (over 10 years ago!).
I've heard plenty of bridesmaids complain about how easy grooms and groomsmen have it on the wedding day. You know what? They're right. While Esther et al were waking up early to do makeup/hair etc, the guys just chilled: slept in, watched some TV, met up around 11 am, got dressed (15 minutes tops... although I had the cuff links on wrong the whole day so the metal was pressing uncomfortably up against my skin, so I probably shouldn't be tooting my own horn here), took some pics... even standing up in front, as much as it took some concentration not to move or sway or whatever, it doesn't compare to having to hold a bouquet of flowers for an hour. Oh yeah, we did one more thing:
We walked by the "largest video game convention on the West Coast" and thought it might be fun to take some pictures inside... we didn't expect the convention folks to put us up on stage and interview Andy about his (and Esther's!) love for video games! Two funny quotes from the interview:
INTERVIEWER: So, when is the wedding?
ANDY: In about 3 hours...
CROWD: It's not too late! Stay here with us!
ANDY: Oh, my fiancee doesn't know I'm here.
Tag-teamed with Byron on a speech at the wedding that I'm sure everyone promptly forgot, but then got to sing this marvelous parody written up by Andrew N (to the tune of "I'll Make Love To You" by Boyz II Men):
(Bob)
Close the tray, then press play
And blow out the candlelight
For tonight is just our night
We're playing video games all through the night...
(Mike P)
RPGs, on my Wii
Girl we'll play them all in time
With your controller and with mine
Here comes level 99, in such little time!
(Chorus)
I'll be Mario, you're my Princess Peach
and I'll hold you tight, baby all through the night
throwing fireballs, eating magic 'shrooms
until I pass out playing next to you...
(Andrew N)
Girl relax, let's go slow
Come and ride my chocobo
'Till we find a whole new world
Just like Shigeru Miyamoto
(Hanlin)
I've been hit, by something strong
I'm gonna need a phoenix down
To revive me from the ground
You've case Cure III on me, now I'll sing it so loud!
(Chorus)
(Byron) - this was awesome
(spoken seductively)
Baby, I've saved a thousand princesses
but none were as fine as you
When I first laid eyes on you
it was game over.. game over man!!
(Chorus 2)
Final Fantasy
that's what you are to me
So I'll hold you tight, baby all through the night
Casting Fire III between you and me
Until we ain't got no more electricity
(Chorus 3)
Final Fantasy
that's what you are to me
So I'll hold you tight, baby all through the night
Casting Fire III between you and me
Until I wake up with you laying next to me
Sunday, visited Evergreen for Sunday service, where Pastor Ken gave some interesting thoughts on the church and how we often plan things out in the opposite manner from what God intends - we figure out what kind of church we want, then who we want church to be for, and then portray the Christ that fits the church, rather than figuring out who Christ really is, and having that inform the mission of the church and finally how the church is structured. Good food for thought and gives me more to pray over with regards to God's vision for Canaan.
Finally, according to Shally and Karen, I drove slower than an 80-year old on highway 5. Hmph.
1 comment:
you do! if it weren't for our nagging, we would have never gotten home. but thanks for driving :)
Post a Comment