Sunday, August 03, 2008

On hope management

I read an article on leadership a while ago on Christianity Today where the writer, John Ortberg from Menlo Park Pres, makes the argument that while leaders need to do many things involving their followers in the process of leading - identifying gifts, putting people into positions to succeed, delegating their weaknesses - it is necessary that the leader never delegate optimism and hope. Leaders need to be experts in "Hope Management."

He writes this about former President Franklin Roosevelt, who was apparently a man with a "second-rate intelligence but had a first-rate temperament":

In the middle of a Great Depression, or World War II, or a capital campaign, or a staff crisis, people inevitably wonder: "Can we get through this? Is it worth all the effort and confusion? Can we really overcome this challenge?" They inevitably look to the person at the core; the man or woman leading the charge, the one who sees the big picture. When people see a leader with this kind of vital optimism, who radiates a sense that together we can do what needs to be done, then people tend to decide not to waste their energy wondering about "if" but focus their energy going after "how."

On the other hand, when Eeyore is at the helm, the whole ship is in trouble. Eeyore may be the most intelligent, gifted, attractive, educated, credentialed person in the room. But if he or she is easily deflated, sensitive to defeat and criticism, and de-motivated by setbacks, the whole community begins the long slow spiral downward.
He then mentions how his journals as a leader tend to be full of chronicles of failure - not confessions of shortcomings, but vague discouragements that don't allow him to feel forgiveness or grace from God and in fact would cause him to spiral deeper into discouragement. As he put it, instead of "encouraging himself in the Lord" like King David writes about in the Scriptures, he was "discouraging himself in the Lord."

This hits me deeply because I have been, through choice or necessity, been trying to take on greater leadership roles in several areas of my life. The challenge for me is that I've evolved to a point where I am generally optimistic and encouraging with other people, but generally negative and pessimistic about myself. In other words, I think or act like others are awesome ("You/we can do it!") perhaps more than is warranted, in the hope that they can exceed their capability; yet I will consciously or unconsciously degrade myself ("Bob, you failed before, and you're going to fail again, why not give up?").

I'm finding now how important it is to have, and to be, leaders who are not just competent, trustworthy, and possessing integrity, but if there is no hope, no belief that a goal can be accomplished, then every follower's spirit will be broken. I've seen this positively and negatively reinforced in my workplace, in church, and in my relationship - as a follower in some cases and as a leader in others. Even though it is sometimes exhausting to try and cling to an existing hope, or generate a new hope, I'm hoping that God will be able to supersede my natural cynicism to believe in spite of myself.

2 comments:

George Hsia said...

Hey Bob. I want to encourage you that you are a good leader and God is doing a great work in you.

I remember a time where I lived by ideals, when life was about the impossible and nothing seemed out of reach. Then one day (who knows when) life happened and life became about mitigating risk and trying not to mess up. Maybe it's the azn thing (a whole 'nother discussion). But all I know is that somehow I convinced myself that my failures would be so catastrophic that somehow I would not be able to recover and somehow my friends wouldn't be able to forgive me.

He is now showing me that it's ok to fail. That when we pursue that which we can not fail, we can only thank ourselves. That when we pursue that which seems impossible, we can only give praise to God.

When running the race of faith, the fear of failure caused me to leave the race. Instead I ended up running in circles. I convinced myself I was doing something, going somewhere, but I had no way to fail. God brought me back to the race, to join with Him in the impossible, for He desires for His will to be done more than I do. That my petty failures can not thwart the plans of the God of the universe. That my hope comes not from success or failure but simply from being in His presence. To experience His love for me, to be with Him, to join Him in His work and maybe get a few things done.

So Bob, dream the impossible, give praise for each failure, that somehow through it you may draw deeper into His love.

Bob said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, George. I agree, at some point in life we seem to move from idealism to risk mitigation and life management. I haven't dreamed much recently. It's cool to see how God's been able to help you follow yours.