Monday, March 01, 2010

Weekend in (Brief) Review

Took Friday off and we headed up to Tahoe with a bunch of Shally's longtime friends from high school - rented a 5 bed, 5 bath place in Truckee.  Lots of Olympics watching, playing with two of the babies, cooking meals and eating snacks, learned how to play Citadel, and watched everyone play "Wii Cheer".

We headed to Northstar on Saturday for the slopes in the midst of big crowds and a constantly falling snow that ranged from light and fluffy to hail (hail hitting your face at high speed isn't pleasant, I'm glad I had a ski mask!).  I think that in general, because of my anxieties about my knees (and how a knee injury would hamper my ability to play basketball), it'll be hard for me to enjoy skiing anything above a blue slope, but I did feel pretty good about starting to get the hang of weight transfer on turns and keeping the skis parallel.

On the drive back, we hit up the Davis Sushi Buffet for lunch, then relaxed and unwound with one of Shally's favorite romantic comedies, "French Kiss" (with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline, as well as Jean Reno, the quintessential French-looking actor).

Fun conversations:

  • In living with other people, when dealing with shared food items, how do you deal with "protecting" your favorite food items from casual grazing by your spouse/partner?  It's not as special to your other half, and it's disconcerting to look forward to something you buy to find out that it's been eaten.  This is a surprisingly common experience.
  • Career ambitions... we're reaching the age where we should be more senior, able to mentor newbies and have an idea of where we're going professionally.
  • Two new Winter Olympics events we proposed:
    • they should combine the biathlon and cross-country skiing to make a new sport where you ski into the woods with a rifle and fire at targets while on the move.  I would totally watch this.
    • they should include a figure skating event where a competitor is given 2 minutes to complete as many aerial rotations as possible.  I would totally watch this too.

No comments: