Monday, August 07, 2006

10 simple pleasures

Latest sign of age: after a weekend of hoops/softball at both the Canaan Sports Day and the regular Sunday hoops, the back of my left knee is annoyingly stiff every time I try to stand up from a seated position. Usually it's my right knee that gives me problems. This tells me that while I might be thin, I'm not particularly fit, particularly in my leg muscles and joints. I've found myself browsing Craigslist for stationary bikes... might be a worthwhile investment.

Got tagged by Chris to list out ten simple pleasures of mine... so here are a few, in no particular order:

10) falling asleep in a warm bed to the sound of rain, followed closely by
10a) the morning after a rainy night, with a fresh, crisp scent in the air and a perfectly clear view of the mountains ringing the Valley

9) listening to a highly-anticipated album of brand-new music for the first time

8) eating something that I've cooked for myself and realizing that it actually tastes pretty good. Doesn't happen too often...

7) making an obscure reference or quoting from TV shows and movies in the midst of conversation... and having someone recognize the reference. Even better is if they continue to riff on the reference by making their own.

6) performing a fundamentally sound sports maneuver that the opponent can't counter. For example, being on either the passing or receiving end of a perfectly-executed backdoor play on the basketball court is immensely satisfying.

5) reading in bed before falling asleep, usually a novel. Gotta give some time for the body to adjust to the sheets at night...

4) multitasking by exercising at the same time as other things, such as doing pushups/pullups/situps while watching TV or walking a few laps around the block while on the phone

3) being able to process my life and express it in words that I'm satisfied with, whether a blog post or a journal entry. These tend to be long

2) intelligent, stimulating conversation after a good meal with family or friends

1) hearing or seeing that I've influenced or inspired someone in a good way - doing more life reflection, eating healthier, and the like. It's nice to know that you make a difference

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

excellent! great simple pleasures... i like the executing sports plays also and the obscure reference/quote thing is great also :D

Bob said...

In a similar vein, here are some of my top pet peeves:

1) incorrect word usage by professional writers (newspaper, etc.). Some of the most common:
compliment/complement
reins/reigns

2) unintelligent traffic lights that turn red when there is no car waiting

3) people throwing away recyclables into the garbage when there is a recycle bin handy

I might come up with more later...

Anonymous said...

nice! looking forward to that :D

Anonymous said...

nice list bobolee... why wasnt S on the list??? :) hehehe

cmon lets see a cute pic of you two!!!!! :) post it! post it! post it!