Thursday, August 17, 2006

Team USA thoughts

Warning: Pure basketball post ahead

How much of a hoops junkie am I? Even now, in August and in the middle of the offseason, I'm still regularly reading almost all of the major basketball news outlets for info on Team USA as they get ready to begin the World Championships this Saturday. We've recorded and watched all of the televised exhibition games so far. A few thoughts:

- Before getting into Team USA... here's a priceless quote from Chris Wilcox after signing his free agent contract with the Seattle Sonics:

“There is always going to be somebody who is hating on you. They hated on Jesus, so I can’t say they won’t hate on me.”

- Read former Laker John Celestand's interesting take on why there's more than just pride at stake in how well the US performs internationally. The short form is that for American ballers playing overseas, they ended up losing a lot of money from foreign clubs who no longer regarded American hoopsters with the same respect as they used to when the US lost its aura of invincibility in 2002 and 2004.

- The team's strength is obvious - athleticism up the wazoo. Thus far in the exhibition games, they've been able to physically overmatch almost every opponent by running a full-court press that eventually wore down every team into committing turnovers by the bushel. They're faster, quicker, and can jump higher than any opponent, and they have 12 guys who can do this.

- The weaknesesses on the team that I'm concerned about - #1 is the lack of reliable outside shooting. Joe Johnson (and recently, Brad Miller(!)) may be the only guys I'd expect to hit a wide open jump shot that is set up by a Wade/Lebron penetration or a double team on Brand. This should be less of a problem at the Olympics in two years when potential members of the team will include Kobe, Redd, and Billups, but this month they'll need some non-shooters to step up.

- #2 weakness is the defense. I can remember from both 2002 and 2004 how the US team just got smoked on fundamental but perfectly executed back cuts, screens and rolls, and pick and fades that resulted in wide-open layups and jump shots (see simple pleasure #6). While this year's version is emphasizing the full-court press to get people out of their regular offense, the better and more disciplined teams will still be able to run what they want to - the question is if Lebron, Carmelo, and the other not-terribly-defensively-minded US players can stick their man and not get their heads turned. Doesn't help that much that they just dropped Bowen, but that highlights...

- #3 weakness is rebounding. In the first exhibition game, the exceedingly mediocre big men of Puerto Rico (Santiago and Ramos) were able to make an impact inside because the US just doesn't have that many quality big men who can take up space, challenge shots, and grab boards. The SFs will have to make sure not to leak out on the break too early, but to aid on boxing out and chasing down rebounds. This is probably why Jamison (who was my original choice to be cut) was kept rather than Bowen.

- Carmelo looks like he's unstoppable going one-on-one on the offensive end. I'll propose some lineups below, but he should probably be the featured offensive option when he's in the game. He'll have to learn how to not force the issue into zone defenses however, and he'll have to play some D on his own.

- It would have been nice to give Bowen a shot at gold since he'll probably be too old to compete in two years at the Olympics, but given that his style of defense is typically very physical, it might not have translated well to the international style of play.

- If I were coaching with this roster of 12, I'd make sure everyone gets significant run in order to take advantage of fresh legs and superior athleticism. It seems that Coach K is going with one primary lineup in alternating quarters. Here are a few proposed lineup combinations:

PG: Hinrich
SG: Wade
SF: Anthony
PF: Brand
C: Miller
6th: Battier

I'd start games with this lineup as a defensively sound, halfcourt team. The beginning of games is usually when the opposing team is the most fresh, and so they'd typically have their best players in. Having the defense of Hinrich/Wade/Brand/Battier would help slow and wear down opposing teams' best players. On offense, Carmelo would be the primary outside shooting/slashing threat, with Wade as the penetrator/distributor and Hinrich/Miller spotting up for threes. Brand is also an option in the mid- to low-post while providing a shot-blocking presence that Miller lacks.

PG: Paul
SG: Johnson
SF: James
PF: Bosh
C: Howard
6th: Jamison

This is the lineup I'd bring in starting the second quarter, as they'd either be playing against some tired starters or some second stringers. This team is built to run, run, run. Paul is perhaps ready to take over the Kidd/Nash mantle as the best pure PG in the game, and with the direction of assistant coach D'Antoni (aka the architect of the Suns' fast break), the transition game is triggered by Howard blocking/boarding, James and Bosh filling the lanes, and Johnson spotting up for threes like he used to in Phoenix. Jamison can fill in either as a rebounder/trigger man for the break or to fill one of the lanes.

PG: Wade
SG: Johnson
SF: Anthony
PF: James
C: Brand/Howard

I'd consider using this lineup to finish the half and the game - although LeBron would be a bit undersized at the 4, the matchup problems this lineup would pose could potentially be worth it.

- Among the group of guys that regularly plays ball on Sundays, we sometimes have conversations about which NBA player we would be style- and athleticism-wise if we were all a foot taller or so. Based on my style of play, I've always thought that I'd be a cerain role-playing member of Team USA - and the following quiz confirms it:

Shane Battier
Take Which NBA player are you? today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've been reading all the articles on the usa team also :D ... gotta love having bball all-year-round!

this is similar to your last lineup,but how about this freakish athletic lineup of:
pg: lebron
sg: wade
sf: melo
pf: brand
c: howard

they jus don't have any 3-point threat, but you would be able to go high-post with brand and have cutters diving to the hoop. or jus have lebron/wade/anthony create and dish to cutting peopels... actually, i jus like this lineup cuz you can have the 2003 draft class in together. haha... but yea, i like your suggestions on the lineups!

oh, and i took the quiz and got gilbert arenas :)

Anonymous said...

thanks for the warning! i'll wait for your next post. heh

Bob said...

While I'm not a Shaq fan, he made this great quote in an NBA.com interview:

"[Wade and I] sort of look at each other and motivate each other by trying to out-do each other. And then when you look at the bigger picture, it also motivates us. When I was coming up, I had to out-do Alonzo and Christian Laettner first. Once I out-did them, now I could get to Ewing, Robinson, Sabonis and Parish. Basically, it's a karate move. You gotta fight all the karate guys, and once you kill them off, now you gotta get to the ninjas. Once you get through the ninjas, now you gotta get to the showmen."

Anonymous said...

hahaha... shaq's funny :)