Thursday, December 21, 2006

Not yet a merry Christmas

I'll admit, I'm kind of envious right now of all the folks who are already on vacation, bundled up at home with their families, or out travelling, without a care in the world.

Me, I'm just struggling to get through to the weekend. It oughta be fun to head up to Reno/Tahoe with the family for a day, but I can't even look that far ahead since work is still so busy with our Friday deadline. Just about everyone and their mother is on vacation next week, so I might be able to relax a little bit at the office, but that too seems rather far away. Plus, the fact that a bunch of people are already on vacation is making work really difficult when the people you need to talk to aren't there.

For some, the Christmas/New Year's holidays are their favorite because of the extended time off, family, gifts, Christmas music, and the whole shebang. For others, it's the most stressful time because of the expectations associated with gift buying and having to force a "holiday cheer" since everyone else is... plus deadlines!

I don't want to be a Scrooge. I'm trying to keep focused on the miraculous gift of the Incarnation, the sobering wonder (there's a paradox for ya) of the Gospel, and hopefully in a few days I'll be back to my merry, sardonic self.

Side note... if you want to hear some brilliantly written, original Christmas music, check out Andrew Peterson's Behold the Lamb of God. If I were a songwriter, these would be the types of songs I'd want to write - stories put with melodies, teachable, and memorable.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Don't be envious of what people done is even without a care in the world but thank God to give you what you own is in current but others do not; that is, "You are rich" more than others.

mariyaya said...

hang in there, bob!

Asterix said...

Hey Bob, I hope you made it okay. :) Have a wonderful trip with your folks, and enjoy the peace, rest, and grace from the Lord as you celebrate his coming. God bless!