Thursday, December 07, 2006

Ruminations from a sickbed

Only in my line of work can I spend almost all day in bed and still be just about as productive as I would have been in my cube. Yay for modern technology. One day when Cisco's TelePresence(c) becomes commonplace tech, we won't ever have to meet anyone in person anymore to do work.

Random thoughts...

- I bought a pack of BreatheRight strips (the band-aid look-alikes that go across the bridge of the nose) to help curb any snoring I might do when sharing a room with someone on trips. For their intended purpose though, they're quite the lifesaver in opening up congested nasal passages when you're sick, allowing you to breathe much easier. Without one I might not have gotten much sleep last night.

- Achtung Baby is just a solid album from beginning to end.

- Made the fantasy football playoffs in the only league I'm in, which was quite gratifying since football isn't really my sport. Got a first-round bye too, which should hopefully give Colston (my best GM move of the year) some time to rehab and get back to producing big #s from the TE position.

- Watched "An Inconvenient Truth" with Shally last night. Quite thought-provoking and did a good job sketching the immediacy and severity of the environmental problem facing all of us, particularly in the US. Thing is, in this country we've made comfort to be the ultimate king and goal, and anything that makes us change our comfort level is hard to do. Will write more about this in a separate post.

- While waiting for a test to run this morning, I watched this video and was doomed for the rest of the day. Stupid jingle getting stuck in my head. Not only that, but what did I have for lunch? "Chicken noodle soup with a... smoothie on the side." I dare you to watch the video. I double dare ya.

- In Hawaii, the topic of conversation swung to how many of my blog posts can become monolithic treatises to wade through (like some concert reviews, etc.). Mike P suggested that I (or someone else) set up a parallel site with a 1-sentence synopsis of my posts - for example, a few screens of text could be condensed down to "I was tired." Maybe I'll try going through a day posting no more than 3 sentences at a time or something.

- Check out this NY Times article for a bunch of free services available for the cell phone, including free Google searches/directory assistance, free international calls, customizable voice mails, and price comparisons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that vid link ain't working...

Bob said...

Fixed. Thanks for the heads-up!