Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The longest commute

(Thanks to George for the link)

Today, one of my coworkers (not in my immediate group) was awarded the prize for The Nation's Longest Commute. Every day, he drives from his ranch in Mariposa to the Cisco campus - basically, from Yosemite to Milpitas and back - 7 hrs total.

I had two reactions upon reading the article:
1) Why not work from home more often? This is Cisco, for crying out loud! I live 12 minutes away and I work from home every so often!
2) What would my job have to be to inspire me to make a 7-hr commute on a daily basis?

I couldn't come up with any good answers for the second question. On top of the actual working day, he's basically at home only 8 hours - I wonder how many of those he sleeps.

What job would you have to have to brave that kind of commute?

2 comments:

ReCharredSigh said...

maybe he loves city life...

i'm assuming ranch = country.

i don't really see why either myself; most ba engineers might KILL to reside in yosemite and work at cisco at home.

i guess people always assume the grass is greener on the other side.

ss said...

i think i'd just make do with somewhere close to where i live or work. this guy must really hate living in sv (i've heard many ppl have the same feeling, but they just find work elsewhere & move)