Monday, April 24, 2006

[singsong] I... Am... The Champ-e'en

With the recent end of the NBA regular season, the fantasy hoops season also drew to a close. Feel free to skip this post if you don't care, but I'm going to go arrogant for a little while and pat myself on the back for my 1st-place finish in my 12-team Cal league (while conveniently overlooking my [cough] 7th out of 8 teams finish in my Canaan league).

Cal league (12 teams, PG-SG-G-SF-PF-F-C-Util-Util-Util): final record 109-67-4, first place in playoffs

My core guys who I acquired and kept most of the season:
Lebron James (1st round)
Elton Brand (2nd round)
Ray Allen (3rd round)
Luke Ridnour (8th round)
Boris Diaw (free agency)
Rafer Alston (free agency)
Sam Dalembert (free agency)

Important trades:
Michael Redd (acquired for Carmelo Anthony and Alonzo Mourning)
Antawn Jamison (acquired for Andre Miller and Darius Miles)

Other notable free agent acquisitions/contributors:
Jameer Nelson
Josh Howard (playoffs only)

My other fantasy team was just sorry... T-Mac out most of the season, needing to be carried by JKidd and Carter. Sigh...

Fantasy lessons learned:
- seeing as how I tend to draft well in straight up drafts (1-12, 12-1) as opposed to the auction drafts we've been doing in the Canaan league the last 2 years, I figure that I know more about basketball than I do about investing "money" in players.
- avoid T-Mac in the first 3 rounds.
- your team will probably do pretty well when it has 3 players in the top 10 of Yahoo rankings (Lebron/Brand/Allen) - boy, I got lucky!
- Lebron is a heckuva lot of fun to own

No comments: