Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Getting back in the saddle

I think the last month or so has been one of my least productive posting months of my blogging career. Despite having no shortage of ideas (I have an entire file of interesting articles, quotes, and topics that I want to comment on in one fashion or another), I've just had some massive writer's block lately. So, I'm going to take some of this guy's advice on defeating it by being a little bit less ambitious about my posts. Not everything has to be a few thousand-word long essay or commentary, or extraordinarily thoughtful either. So, I'm going to try and start with shorter posts on a more frequent basis, and see if that gets me going again.

Survival skills
Are you a city boy or a wise woodsman? Take this quiz on cold weather survival. Me? I'm a city boy... or I apparently don't have much knowledge about the human body neither.

World Basketball Championship
So the US ends up with another bronze medal. After having watched just about every televised game, a few comments:
- Argentina/Greece/Spain all play a very aesthetically pleasing brand of offensive basketball, with a lot of ball movement. The US is pretty much just isolating Carmelo, Lebron, or DWade.
- Help defense by the US is sorely lacking. The only competent help defender on the entire team was Battier. If you watched people play off the ball, he was the only US player that was aware of both his man and the ballhandler and positioned himself correctly to close out on either. So in crunch time, who's in the game? Carmelo/Wade/Lebron can dunk from the free throw line, but they can't stop a pick and roll.
- Cut: Antawn, Miller. There's any number of guys that can be added who would be more effective.

How "specialized" is your knowledge?
Can you:
Name 2 of the 7 dwarves? Name 2 of the Supreme Court justices?
Name the hero of JK Rowling's books? Name the prime minister of Great Britain?
Name Homer Simpson's son? Name one of the works of the Greek poet Homer?
Name the planet Superman comes from? Name the planet closest to the Sun?
Name the 3 Stooges? Name the 3 branches of the US government?

See how you did compared to other Americans in this article.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i ashamed to admit that i couldn't remember GB's PM's name, but i recognized it!! heh couldn't name any justices either. But i got everything else! Do i get points for knowing both of Homer's epic poems?? :) interesting how pop culture is so much more prevalent & memorable...

Asterix said...

I can't name the three stooges! Bah.

Anonymous said...

what does it mean if i can only answer the first set of questions but not the second? :)

ryc: haha i had to google summer sanders to get your reference ... but yes! maybe! she loves the underwater world! and loves swimming!

hey you know we're going up this weekend! can you hang out sat night? we'll be hanging out with chris, amy and karen ... not sure who else?

Anonymous said...

hmm, lets see. there's sutter briar kennedy ginsburg thomas..all i can think of now.