Friday, June 11, 2010

Baby media

With an ever-increasing number of my peers entering into the realm of parenthood, I've been around babies and toddlers more and more.  With that exposure comes a corresponding rise in the amount of "baby media" I run into - songs, TV shows, movies, books, etc.

I can see the value in these.  Exposing kids to music, words, and images can help them learn, develop, and so on.  If and when S and I are able to start a family, though, I will have to confront a difficult truth - my brain has a hard time dealing with a lot of baby media.

Apparently babies will often request the same kiddie song to be played over and over again, especially to be well-behaved in the car.  I may need to invest in earplugs in the car, or just have earphones plugged into my iPod rather than listening to VeggieTales on repeat.

I may go crazy having the same kiddie TV shows showing over and over again, unless I'm able to distract myself somehow by playing something else on the screen in my brain, or maybe I'll try to be productive and memorize Bible verses or something.

I know, I know - if we have a kid, the baby will probably get what he wants.  But I'll try my darndest to get him at an early age to listen to U2, hymns, and Mozart; learn the nuances of the NBA, and think longingly to the days ahead when I can finally read out loud The Chronicles of Narnia, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings.

No comments: