Monday, June 28, 2010

I ain't got time to (not) bleed

One of my favorite "community service" type activities that I've taken up these last few years is blood donation.  Since I'm in OK shape, not overly squeamish about needles, and have humongous veins running down my arms, I try to go every couple of months - my last trip was a week ago, and over the last few years have been able to donate over a gallon of A+ blood (my blood type, not my perception of my blood's quality, mind you).

I typically visit the Stanford Blood Center at Hillview.  Here are a few reasons why...
- The technicians are pretty good - never had any bruising or mistakes.  I probably make their lives easier with my prominent left elbow vein though.
- They have free wi-fi - I can connect to work through my laptop during the wait/procedure.
- Since I've moved up to doing a "double red blood cell" donation (takes twice as long, need to wait twice as long before coming back, hopefully twice as useful!), they've given out some free T-shirts.  You can never have too many T-shirts.
- The cookies in the break room are quite tasty.
- The cherry on top of this bloody sundae is that if you donate on Mondays, they will often have a promotion giving away 1 (or sometimes more!) AMC Silver Ticket vouchers.

I highly encourage you to donate!  It feels good to "change the oil" in the body every so often, so to speak.

On a somewhat related note, any action movie fan should be able to identify where I got my inspiration for this post title (which came to mind as I had the inspiration for the blood topic).  Here's the other quote that came to mind:

"Wipe yourself off.  You're bleeding."

No comments: