Saturday, June 26, 2010

NBA thoughts

Couple of quick thoughts on the recent NBA draft and the upcoming free agency period...

  • The Warriors make me sad.  Out of Udoh, Randolph, Wright, Biedrins, and Turiaf, considering a big man rotation is 3 guys playing big minutes and maybe one other backup, I definitely pick Turiaf (good contract, solid locker room guy, good defense).  I have no idea of who I pick out of the other four.
  • Since the sale is taking so long, I think the W's will probably have to write off all hope of improving much this season.  If they can get the team sold and get a competent ownership/front office in place, then spend the season developing Curry and the other young talent, that's about as good as we can hope for.
  • Warriors master plan: 
    • Sell to Ellison
    • Hire a younger, competent GM who apprenticed for other successful front offices like Presti or Morey
    • Sign Lebron since he's buddies with Curry.  Okay, maybe that won't happen.
  • I hope Lebron goes back to the Cavs.  From what I've read about his impact on the city, and the tortured psyche of Cleveland sports fans, it would be the best for the general level of happiness in the world, methinks.  The Cavs' beat writer made the good point that most of the current Cavs fans are young (teens to 30-somethings) who aren't old enough to remember the old frustrations of the Browns, Cavs, and Indians, so Lebron leaving would create a lot of embittered people.
  • That being said, my head guesses that he'd most likely go to Chicago.  Too much talent, and they could pick up a PF too with the cap room available.
  • I think Wade will entice Bosh or Amare to come to Miami.  Whoever doesn't goes to Chicago.
  • I'm interested in seeing the Spurs make a run at Mike Miller, but they won't be able to do anything without moving Jefferson's contract, so not much will happen.

No comments: