Friday, June 25, 2010

Gender-specific decision making

Two years ago (wow, it's been that long already?) when we were just beginning wedding planning, something S and I discovered that she would more likely want to research lots and lots of options (photographer, florist, and so on) - not because she enjoyed it, and certainly not because I enjoyed it, but because she was afraid of not doing enough homework and missing out on some really great vendor/service/bargain.  As this was causing both of us some undue stress due to the amount of work going into just one item on a long to-do list, I came up with the (wise, I think) compromise of primarily researching only the vendors that our friends recommended.

This was one instance of many in our relationship where I found that just from the way she's wired, on relatively minor decisions, I sometimes need to step in and make decisions up front in order to narrow the scope of a particular choice or speed up the action.  A lot of times, my decision ends up being pretty arbitrary as the choices on the table are all pretty good, and S is just needing some direction to move forward.  "Should I wear blue or green?"  "They both look good, so, uh, green."

At dinner tonight with a few other couples, we found that this relationship quirk wasn't unique to us - in a few other couples it was also necessary for most minor decisions with good options to be made quickly by the guy.

Is this characteristic for anyone else?  If so, why do you think this is?

No comments: